Monday, March 1, 2010

March Presidency Message

My mind has been turning lately to the need to continually nourish our testimonies. I appreciated the First Presidency Message in the January 2010 Ensign by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, in which he quoted President Harold B. Lee, saying, "Testimony isn’t something that you have today and you keep always. Testimony is either going to grow and grow to the brightness of certainty, or it is going to diminish to nothingness, depending upon what we do about it. I say, the testimony that we recapture day by day is the thing that saves us from the pitfalls of the adversary."

This suggests to me that a testimony is ever changing, growing stronger through our experiences with prayer, service, scripture study, temple work, and attention to the promptings and influence of the Holy Ghost. Likewise, our faith and testimony suffer when neglected, as a plant that wilts without nourishment.

President Uchtdorf advised us, "We need, more than ever, to draw near unto the Lord. As we do, we will come to know what it means to have the Lord draw near unto us. As we seek Him ever more diligently, we will surely find Him.... We will find the spiritual strength to survive even during the darkest night.... The Lord has blessed you with a testimony of the truth. You have felt His influence and witnessed His power. And if you continue to seek Him, He will continue to grant you sacred experiences."

I am so grateful for the experiences I have which strengthen my testimony. I feel so blessed to feel the love of our Father in Heaven and our Savior Jesus Christ, through the power of the Holy Ghost. I believe as sisters we learn from one another’s experiences as well, and I feel happy to celebrate our sisterhood in the Relief Society this month. We bless one another through our association together, and strengthen one another as we nourish our faith. May we each build upon the testimonies the Lord has given us, seeking Him always and receiving His love day by day.

Janee

No comments:

Post a Comment