Friday, March 9, 2012

March Presidency Message

Elder Cecil O. Samuelson Jr. has given us a great opportunity to "consider the matter of our
testimonies". He describes: "our testimonies as our sure witness of
the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is obtained by revelation
through the Holy Ghost." A couple things come to mind through my thought
and study of the topic. I'm assuming many of you, like myself, have questioned
the depth our testimony, which is continually tried and tested. One way I've
determine the depth of my testimony is to acknowledge what I'm doing to help it
grow. In John 7:17 it states: "If any man wills do his will, he shall know of the doctrine."
Looking back at the start of my testimony, I recognize I had a testimony long
before I knew it. Elder Samuelson states that "People do good and
important things because they have a testimony. While this is true, we also
gain testimonies because of what we do." I have no doubt that through the
act of 'doing' the will of God, the Holy Ghost will manifest the truth of all
things to you. Your testimony will grow and will continue to flourish when it
is properly nourished and protected.
Another way I've been able to determine the depth of my testimony is to
evaluate what I have learned through experiences in my life. I am thankful that
the Lord has given me challenges and opportunities for growth. As is states in
Exodus 13:14 we can teach our families that " by strength of hand the Lord
brought us out from...the house of bondage". Many hands have been extended
through answers to prayers. Those hands have come in many forms; scriptures,
lessons (and comments made during lessons), opportunities to serve, accepting
service from others, teaching, others testimonies, sharing my own testimony and
the example of others. All of these are actions made from someone 'doing' and... all of
these actions helped strengthen my testimony in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I
know he answers my prayers, the Holy Ghost testifies this to me when answers
come....this is revelation that can come to all, to build testimonies. Elder
Samuelson gives us other key points to obtaining, preserving and edifying our
testimonies. You can find them in Elder Samuelson's talk from April 2011
General Conference. I hope each of you will read and ponder his words. I also
want each of you to know, I gain strength from each and every one of you. You
each bring unique gifts to this organization through your love, example and
service. You are a divinely chosen daughter of God. I know He loves you. You
and your testimony are of great value. I hope you will evaluate what your
testimony means to you. Continue to strengthen it, protect it, preserve it,
share it and find great joy in it. I know the stronger our testimonies are, the
easier it will be for us to stand strong in our times of adversity and have the
ability to help others in their times of adversity. I know peace and great
happiness come through living the gospel of Jesus Christ. In the Name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment